Saturday, January 24, 2009

Weeds or Flowers?


There once was a house that sat neglected and alone. It had not always been that way. In times past it had been a beautiful home full of laughter and joy. It was adorned with flowers and green grass. It held the hopes and dreams of the families that filled its walls. As time went on things changed. Gone were the flowers and green grass and left in their place were weeds and various shades of brown. In fact, the only green in the yard now could be found in the pool. Instead of laughter and joy, the house was filled with emptiness and silence. The hopes and dreams too had faded. The time would soon come for this house to become a home again. Many families visited this house but instead of seeing its hidden beauty they saw what was missing. Time continued to pass and the house sat empty. One special day a very fortunate family came to visit this house. Instead of seeing what is wasn't, they saw what it could be. That's when it all began.....slowly the life and beauty began to return to this house. After many hours and lots of love this house evolved into what it was originally designed to be - BEAUTIFUL! Aren't we all a little like this home? At times we are neglected or even difficult to love. We all have both weeds and flowers inside of us waiting to grow. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone could see our hidden beauty? For the Lord created us all which makes each of us beautiful. Sometimes we even have a hard time seeing the gifts we have within ourselves. Just as there are mansions and palaces to admire, we often look at others admiring their gifts wishing they could be our own....but what could be more beautiful and amazing than what the Lord has designed for us? He wants each us to find our own gifts and see the beauty we have each been given. It is up to us what we find - the weeds or the flowers. True joy and happiness comes in to our lives when we choose to water the flowers both in ourselves and those around us.

BEFORE......





Can you see the demo dust in the pictures? What a mess!



We took out the tramp!




AFTER........




Our "front yard" or as Talan calls it....NIELSON PARK!
















21 comments:

Shawni said...

Oh my word Jennifer, first of all I didn't know you had a blog...I love it! (I just clicked over from Tracey's.) And second I want to move into your house. It is GORGEOUS! I need to come over for a tour now that you're moved in. I love what you wrote about it too. I'm so glad you are the new loving owners and I'm especially glad we can see you over the fence if we want to!

Catherine said...

Jennifer, you are so talented. I can't believe this is the same house I saw a couple of months ago. It turned out beautiful. You are quite the little decorator.It looks so homey and comfortable. In fact, It makes me want to come over and hang out. When do I get my invite?

Tracey said...

I love your analogy of "weeds or flowers" - you are always so clever & of course your house is BEYOND gorgeous. Although, what I am most excited about is...is that you live so close & we see each other so often! It has & is going to be sooo fun! XOXO Love you.

P.S. Your blog looks fabulous - good job on getting the rest of the pictures uploaded!

Tiffany said...

I know I have already gone crazy about your house but it truly is so gorgeous! You did such an awesome job! It is so inviting. I am so excited for you. I love your analogy too. So true!!!

Sarah said...

I love before and afters...you have a gorgeaous home and a great decorating sense!

Varney Family said...

Holy Cow! Your house is amazing - you have turned it into such a beautiful HOME! Thanks for sending me the link to your blog - I didn't know you had one! I added it to your dad's memory blog (memoriesoftalmagedennisbarney.blogspot.com) and to mine as well. You are so talented. When can you help me with mine?! :)

Shannon said...

I love your house! Tiff was telling me how great it looks and she was not kidding! I'm going to have to hire you all to come decorate my next house. Oh and I love your analogy, so true!

Pam Jorgensen said...

This looks like a model home from a magazine! Beautiful!

It was fun seeing you again tonight! I'm glad you know half my ward so we can keep bumping into each other!

Colleen said...

I saw your comment on Clover Lane, and thought I'd check out your blog. I also have 4 kids, but my house is no where near as spectacular as yours. Maybe one day...

Paige said...

Jennifer! This makes me sick!!! I thought i was an okay decorator, but this is comming straight from a magazine!!! Oh how your wonderful mind works. I want to come over and view this as a whole...it's making me decor hungry! Your such a amazing woman. Love you. I'm glad to see you are happy in your new home!
Hugs, Paige

really.truly said...

Wow! I found your blog from another blog....I had to comment-the way you decorated is so lovely. Seriously, magazine perfect! I think I may have to visit here again:)

Micah and Melinda said...

Oh Jennifer your home is amazing!!! Want a roomie? One day when we buy a home, I'm making DeAnn and you help me decorate! WOW!

-nock said...

Nice Family
Nice Home

Talan, Where have twenty years gone?

-john nock
nock@nockinvestments.com

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

Jennifer--I am so happy for you guys! What a fun thing (NOT) to go through the re-building process--but SO fun to have it all done and get to live in something so beautiful that you created yourself! Love you! Natalie

Abby Runyan said...

Love it! Someday when I get a house you are going to have to help me decorate!

Jen said...

Jen, I love your house and the great analogy. YOu are so talented and I'm excited to see you guys next month!

Jen said...

One more thing...I got your message today. YOu guys are welcome any time. The girls would have a lot of fun with Hadley. You would kinda need to bring Hayden, too! Just bring everyone! Seriously, anytime!

cabrenchley said...

It is an amazing transformation! You really are talented Jen. Thanks for letting me come see. Lunch was fun too. We need to do that more often.

Katy said...

You've got some mad decorating skills! Your house looks f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s! I'm so glad that we're neighbors!

Val & Terri Galvan said...

Hey Jennifer, wow your house is amazing. Of course it does not surprise me!!! Can you come do mine next??
We need to do lunch!

Kim Skinner said...

no surprise that it is absolutely beautiful.