Thursday, January 8, 2009

MY DAD



SUMMER OF 2008 AT THE RANCH
My dads favorite place



I THOUGHT ALL DADDIES WERE THE SAME

When I was a little girl I thought all daddies were the same,
I thought they all were kind and loving and spoke in gentle ways.

Didn't all daddies give you bear hugs and sit you on their laps,
and have you rub their whiskers or wear boots and cowboy hats?

I thought all daddies loved horses and going on long trail rides,
especially with their family and loved ones riding by their side.

Didn't all daddies teach you kindness and to think of others first,
and always to be honest, even when it hurt?

Well, I grew and grew and my daddy became my dad,
and I soon began to realize he was no ordinary man.

No, not all dads are their daughters heroes both for love and tenderness,
or a gentle giant like mine, who filled his life with love and service. 

Not all dads would take you skiing but never go themselves,
but wait patiently at the bottom as you came screaming down the hill.

Not all dads made you feel special and always have time to spare,
even one as busy as mine, working and serving everywhere.

Not all dads would start the first day of school with a video camera in hand,
asking those funny questions behind a silly grin.

Not all dads teach you by example, both with action and spoken word,
or blessed you with their wisdom and genuine concern.

He was loved for the dad he was but how grand he would be,
for the children who called him grandpa who he cherished tenderly.

The most special thing about my dad is the legacy he leaves,
which is following the Savior and being together as a family for all Eternity.

BY:  JENNIFER NIELSON


Daddy/daughter outing....he loved sleeping under the stars.
NO TENTS ALLOWED!


My dad marrying off his teenage daughter to her Knight in Shining Armor!



A very special day....I had just received my Patriarchal Blessing!


Graduation Day!  One whole year before the wedding day.... I matured
very quickly that year (or maybe not)! 


I will cherish the memories I have with my dad and the comfort that I will 
see him again someday!  I LOVE YOU DAD!!!

20 comments:

Melissa said...

That was the sweetest post ever!
I loved your Dad, he was always there to help my family when we were in need. He was such a special man. He will truly be missed. Your family are in our prayers. We love your family!

Jentry said...

What a great tribute to your Dad. I was so sad when I heard the news and I am truly sorry for your loss. Your Dad was a great man who will be greatly missed. You & your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love, Jennifer Bryson Teusch

Nichole Barney said...

I loved the poem Jen what a sweet tribute to your Dad. What is truly amazing is realizing how much of an impact he had on so many people and everyone felt so loved. I see so many of his traits in you. I know his Legacy will be carried on. I Love ya Jen your the best!
Love
Nichole

Micah and Melinda said...

Hi Jen! I love you and you are so in my thoughts!

Tracey said...

Jen - Nichole is right... you are your dad in so many ways. You have a heart of GOLD, always thinking of others, ORDERLY, patient with people who are slow learners & the list goes on! My heart hurts for you & the loss you have in your every day life. I feel so blessed to have known your dad for as long as I have. He was one of the most Christlike men I have ever known. He will be dearly missed by so many people. I love you and am praying for you to have comfort at this difficult time. XOXO

Abby Runyan said...

That was the sweetest poem, I loved it. I really can't believe he is gone. He really did leave a great legacy behind him with his children, especially you. He was indeed a great man, who will be missed. Your in my thoughts and prayers. I love you.

Kim Skinner said...

You're making me cry! I'm so sorry about your Dad! We've been thinking about you during this hard time.

Jen said...

Jen,
I'm so glad you were able to express your feelings in such a beautiful way when they are so tender. You will always cherish having that beautiful poem. You have so many of his qualities - your big heart and willingness to give service. I'm sad I can't be there but I told Del to give you a big hug from me!

Jim said...

Jennifer and Talan,

We just wanted you to know that we have you in our prayers. We love you guys and your family. We know how hard this time is, but what an amazing time to see all the people that knew and loved your dad! He is an amazing man and his legacy will live on forever. We will see you in the next couple of days. Please know you are in our prayers.

We love you,
Jim and Chrissy Hamberlin

Julie said...

Jen,
I am so sorry for your loss. I did not personally know your dad, but I am so touched by all that I learn from many who have written about him. I loved your poem.
Let Hadley know we are thinking of her and Spencer sends his sympathies. We really know how hard it is to lose a parent, grandparent and we find comfort in the memories we cherish in our hearts. God bless.
All our Love
Julie Turley and family

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nat said...

What an amazing Dad. You and your Dad seem to have such a great relationship and my heart breaks for you now. I am so sorry. You, Talan and kids are in our prayers. I would say I hope it gets better soon, but as for me I know I don't want my pain to go away because it makes my mom seem farther away.
We love you guys.
and I absolutley LOVE this poem that you wrote!

Lundell Family said...

Thank you so much for that sweet poem!! Your dad meant so much to so many people. Everyone I talk to feels this special bond with your dad. I'm so sorry Jen and have not stopped thinking of you and all your family. Please know you are in our prayers and I will get dinner over to you in a few weeks. I can't say I know too many men that when you talk to them they make you feel like your the best and loved so much. That is how your dad made Mason and I feel. We love you and will continue praying for you as time goes on

Jim said...

I just wanted you to know that I thought the funeral service was beautiful. Your family is so lucky to have Dennis as a father and grandfather. He left an amazing legacy for you to follow. We would love to go out with you guys sometime. When things settle down, give us a call and we'll get together.

Love you!
Jim and Chrissy

Val & Terri Galvan said...

What a beautiful post. I am so glad you have a blog- I didn't realize you had one! The poem you wrote was amazing. I know you will see him again, he will continue to teach you & be a good example to you & your posterity. I am grateful for your dad, because he taught you- to be a good friend, listener, teacher, mother, wife- etc. I love you Jenn!

Kelee said...

Jennifer - Again, such a beautiful tribute to your Dad. Such a sweet poem. What a wonderful job you did when you shared that at the funeral. I am so glad you moved in our ward. I admire you so much for the way that you faithfully move forward. What an amazing example you are to all of us!
Love, Kelee Moon

Joan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joan said...

Sorry about that {DELETE}

Your post is lovely - what a great father/friend you have. You are a lovely person inside and out - I hope you know that. Be strong
Lots of love - Joan

AudyCamp said...

I LOVE your poem. What a sweet way to show how much you treasure your Dad. -What a great man loved by so many. So sorry for your tremendous loss and sorrow at this time. He will always be there though looking over your shoulder & still taking care of his little girl. We are continuously praying for your you and your family and hope you can feel it.
~Audra Campbell

Catherine said...

What a special tribute to your dad. You are a very thoughtful, sweet friend. Always thinking and doing for others. We really enjoy getting together and spending time with you guys. Hope to get together again soon.

Love, Catherine